SCBWI Canada East Blog

February 27, 2012

3:55 PM 2
With so many illustratable (no, it's not a word, but you get it) moments from my childhood it was difficult to decide what to do for this week's theme of "Childhood Memories".  I settled on an instance somewhere around the time of grade 5 or 6 when I was "going out"  (and by "going out" I mean walking laps around the back field holding hands and chattering with other grade school "couples") with a boy who gave me a bracelet.  A week later I saw that he was walking around the back soccer field holding hands with another girl ... a friend of mine!  This was his way of informing me that we were through. So, this image is of the moment I returned the bracelet, which he then gave to the other girl . I was confused at what to make of all of this, but oddly, not at all angry. It remains in my mind as my first odd, awkward interaction with the politics of dating. Even though it's been years since I've seen either of these people, we went through nearly our entire school careers together and I still count them as dear friends.  Fortunately, I was much too naive about the ways of love at that point to be scarred by the incident.  haha. I chuckle every time I think of it.

2 comments:

  1. HA! Julie, I love the "flash back" to the days of "going out" as a child:)
    I remember the whole Elementary School DATING scene, of going no where and doing nothing. I suppose children have to practice having relationships, on their path to adulthood:)

    I love the look on "your" face. Like you say, you weren't exactly angry but you ARE giving your girlfriend the EYE:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, dating then was so easy. Not so much with the drama. Things got somewhat more complicated later on in life. But even that, now, is a distant memory. :)

      Delete