SCBWI Canada East Blog

February 22, 2016

11:38 AM 0

I have recently read an article on writersdigest.com. It was a guest post by a teen writer discussing her pet peeves in YA novels.
I found it informative.
It's been a long time since I have been a teenager and though I have two teen children, I rarely understanding what they are saying when they are speaking to each other. 
As a YA writer, I seek authenticity in my stories. I want teens to both see and hear themselves in the pages.  Unfortunately, I often end up sounding like that pathetic Mom who is trying to be "Cool" and I end up alienating the reader. 
Teens have their own language that is evolving everyday. There is no way as an adult I can keep up. I cannot write a book in language I do not speak. Writing in teen speak, makes as much sense as writing in Greek when I do not speak it. 
The article covers other mistakes that YA authors make. It is a good read. 
I would like to hear your ideas. Please feel free to comment. 

References:
"What NOT to Do When Writing YA Books"  by Jamie S. Margolin. 

0 comments