SCBWI Canada East Blog

March 12, 2017

3:43 PM 1
I have posted here many times about my lack of self discipline. Although I am by no means perfect, I have made progress and I hope to make much more. 
I realize that I am most productive when I am not at home. There are just too many distractions, even in what is supposed to be my office. I could be watching M*A*S*H *;  washing dishes; knitting another scarf; and the ever important, playing match 3 on my iPhone. 
I guess I could say I'm like my dog when he sees a squirrel. Well now that I know. And knowledge is power. 
So, I make arrangements to write with a friend. This is something new and I need to make it a habit. But it has  made me more productive and that it the goal. 
I also have a critique partner. She is amazing and patient. I am working through my first round of edits and she has been great at be gentle with her suggestions. And even better, she is open to me leaving things as is, if Iwant. We met at a SCBWI function and I feel blessed to have her in my corner. 
Finally, there is something more intangible that helps me. After a day of writing or even a half hour, I get some warm fuzzy feelings. It's another step closer to my dream. I feel more confident and feel less like a poser and more like a writer. 

No, I am not spending 6 hours a day writing. I do not have a published book. (For Now). I do not have a publisher or an agent. But I am a writer because I write. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge procrastinator too. Lately it's been getting sucked into the social media/new rabbit hole. I added the StayFocused extension to chrome. It's amazing how much more productive I am now! Of course sick kids, storm days, & hubby taking days off to do home renos are a much more difficult challenge. I love the idea of having a writing date with a friend.

    ReplyDelete